History
The Warpath project began on Thanksgiving day of 1999. I had obtained a copy of an original drawing of the 648 Big Base Indian Scout racing cases from Jim Wall. My intention was to pattern some cases off these drawings so they could be reproduced.
I had the wood patterns finished about 9 months later and had test cast a set which was to be my master pattern. I had made the wood patterns at a double shrink factor so the masters would be made from aluminum and would last forever.
The sand mold used for casting an early set of cases. The master pattern and the first set of cases were cast at my shop as shown here. Production cases are jobbed out to a foundry that can degas and heat treat.
As it turns out, they can cast them for cheaper than I can and there is better quality control. There is quite a difference in the thickness of various sections on the cases and I was having problems with shrinkage.
  • Aluminum prototype cases.
  • Aluminum master pattern.
  • Original wood pattern.
In the meantime, I had also patterned the cam cover to use the 1948 and later aluminum style oil pump. I had the first 5 sets of cases and cam covers cast and they were sent to Rick (Rocky) Dillinger at www.ironwigwam.com for fixturing and machining.
During the course of doing the mechanical drawings, writing the G-code, and doing the test machining, these first 5 sets were pretty much sacrificed.
After the trial machining of the 1st generation cases, it was discovered that I needed to do a few pattern revisions. This was because the wood patterns made in my basement woodshop didn't hold their tolerances as close as I would have liked. The inner and outer diameters needed to be truer. Bruce Horton at North Dakota State University gets the credit for machining this into the patterns. And the cam chest needed to be lowered slightly. After making these revisions, the Warpath logo was added to the drive side. And Rocky and my last names were put on the bottom of the cam side similar to the early Indian Hendee Hendstrom cases. These were the 2nd generation cases.
It took a few years to find someone who was able to machine them but has the wait been worth it? You bet!
Bruce (Satan Claus) machining inner and outer circumferences of patterns.
Currently, I am doing some minor adjustments to the case thru bolt spot face bosses, adjusting the outside perimeter on the bottom of the cases and thinning out the cam chest on the top so the top through bolt spot face will be clear of the cam chest wall. As this is being written, these changes have been completed with only minor smoothing needed. We will be casting 7-10 sets of generation 3 sometime in February, 2005. These cases will be made available for sale on www.ironwigwam.com.
Ironwigwam is in the process of building the fixture for machining the cylinder liners, base bolts and crankcase vents through webs. This will likely have been done by the time you are reading this page.
Spy photo from Rocky's lab showing part of the fixture used for locating the cylinder base bolt holes and bore holes. A partially machined case is bolted to it. More photos soon!
2nd generation machined cases.
Outside of cam side of production Generation III Warpath cases. The following list includes some of the changes made from the prototype Generation II sets:
  1. Lowered top of cam chest to make room for the top thru bolts spotface. This also puts the top of the cam chest in the proper location.
  2. Increased clearance for lifters between the two cams.
  3. Increased outside chamfer radius, just slightly.
  4. Milled down areas adjacent to spot face areas on thru bolts. This brings the as cast surface lower than the machined spot face surface.
  5. Adjusted some thru bolt bosses for better alignment.
  6. Adjusted outside perimeter of pattern to make both side match up better.
Inside view of cam side:
  1. Thickened the cylinder baffles towards the center of the engine so they will be the proper thickness after being machined.
  2. Increased the inside fillet radius. This decreases stress concentrations around the bend of the crankcase wall.
The generator side has some of the revisions that the cam side had. Additionally:
  1. Top front and rear through bolt spot face areas given more clearance.
  2. Area around logo smoothed off better.
  3. Area between two cylinders shaped to match the cam side on the inside.
Photo of both sides ready for machining. As you read this they are en-route for fixturing and machining.
Outward view of cam cover.
Inside view of cam cover.
Cam covers will be available for either the 2-lobe (stock) configuration or deeper for 4-lobe (racing) configuration.
Landstrom's Foundry is currently working on the aluminum oil pump housing. These will be CNC machined. The pattern and preliminary castings have been completed.
Inside view of oil pump housing.
I am also working on a OHV top end design for the Warpath engine. The cylinder patterns are finished and one set has been cast at my shop. The heads themselves will be based on a Crocker design but use modern Sportster valves, seats, springs and rockers.
Prototype aluminum cylinders.
As part of the Warpath parts line, I have decided to reintroduce the inner and outer primary covers that I quit producing several years ago. I obtained the pattern for the outer primary from Reid Greer. Before I obtained the pattern, he had been producing this cover since the 60's. When I had made the primaries in the past, Reed did the machining for me but his knees got too old to stand by a mill to do the work and so I stopped making the part.
When the weather warms up here, I will start machining them on my own mill. Look for them in the late summer of 2005.
 
The inner primary cover is from a pattern that I made. It features thickened areas and extra webbing. It will be made available sometime after the outer cover. Hopefully late in 2005.